[TR] relays -to use or not to use

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] relays -to use or not to use
From: Gary O'Hagan <goh62agan@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:53:10 -0500
List,
Where to begin?  Should I even use relays?  I have a basic
understanding of relays and how they work but I need to know where I
can draw power from to operate the switches.  I'm assembling aTR4 with
a neg earth and converted to an alternator.  The fuel pump is replaced
with an electric pump, and the fan is also electric. The pump and the
fan are not wired in. My plan is to add a relay and fuse to each of
these circuits.  At the risk of having a design  by committee I'd like
some suggestions on how to proceed.   The AdvanceAuto-wire site
proposes relays and fuse panel for the fuel pump, horns and electric
fan..http://www.advanceautowire.com/.  Should I make the wiring de novo
, or build it off of something Like the JEGS
site..http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Electric-Fan-Wiring-Harness-Kits/
758607/10002/-1.
The plan is to have a cutoff switch at the dash and inertia switch( if
I can find one) for the fuel pump.  Is there  a simple way to wire this
through the relay? There is the AdvancedAuto-wire setup where power
from the  solenoid terminal or ignition wire -> fuse panel -> (splits)
to both power in to the relay then out to each ground -> 1) switch 2)
-> fuel pump.  OR  Do I wire power from the ignition switch through the
cut off switch with standard relay wiring to ground etc. OR None of the
above. OR It depends.
The wiring for the fan would be similar except with a Thermostat and an
on -off -auto switch.
Should I add relays to the horn and headlamp circuits?
Any good places to find switches, relays, wire, etc ?
The car has been apart for twenty years, After coming this far, I'd
hate to turn the ignition and have it autocombust.
I look forward to your easy to follow directions.
Gary O

Suggested annual donation  $11.47

Triumphs@autox.team.net