Re: [TR] Off topic...electric motor speed

To: "'Triumph Mail List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Off topic...electric motor speed
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:22:05 -0700
> Anyone enlighten me on what determines the speed of an
> unloaded electric
> motor?  House current and or 12v auto?

Depends on the motor type.  Most brushless AC motors run slightly below
synchronous speed, with how much below determined by their load; so they
don't change much when unloaded.  Most AC motors with brushes and many DC
motors are series-wound, which have basically no inherent top speed, their
maximum speed is determined only by when the output of the motor matches the
bearing drag and/or wind resistance of the armature.

Parallel-wound and permanent magnet DC motors have an inherent top speed
(for a given voltage) determined by the motor design ... basically they act
like generators and oppose the applied voltage until the armature current
drops to nearly zero.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net