Re: [TR] TR3 Rear Shock Absorbers

To: Todd Richmond <twr@frii.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Rear Shock Absorbers
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 22:09:23 +0000 (UTC)
>I'm tempted to just refill the lever
>shocks with oil and see if that works well enough,
>but how do you test if these things are working
>without actually driving around on them?

Well, now you mention, the rear lever shocks are something I should have added
to the list of indestructable TR3 parts that didn't need rebuilding during my
restoration.B  In essence, I did just what you suggest, which is to drain all
the old oil, and refill with about a half pint of Harley Davidson Hydraulic
Fork Oil, Type B.

If I recall List advice at the time, there were suggestions that stiffness can
be added by doing something to a spring, but I don't remember very well and
this could be just my doddering brain. At any rate, I didn't do anything like
that, and the car handles bumps about as well as I would want from a hardcore
minimalist two-seater sportscar with power under the hood and nuts behind the
wheel.B

Shocks and brakes are for sissies!

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

New Hampshire