Re: [TR] Cardiff University group studying LBC ownership

To: list Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Cardiff University group studying LBC ownership
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:47:43 -0400
On 26 Mar 2009 at 17:55, Alain asked:

> *Motivations for why you bought your LBC*:

> 1) *recapture youth*

Nope.  As far as I know I never lost mine.

> 2) *family memories*

Not a chance.  None whatsoever.  They tolerated but never understood.

> 3) *like to work on simple classic British cars*

Sure, I like working on them, but any old Chevy or Ford of the same
vintage would be easy to work on too.  Could've saved a lot of money
by working on someone else's car if that's what I wanted to do.

> 4) *avoid British car taxes*

Not a chance.

> 5) *fun relatively affordable weekend, sunny day, summer car*

Well, that's sort've accurate but not complete.  A sports car can be
a great source of fun, even as one's only vehicle, and LBC's are
usually a less expensive option.  But so could be an original VW
beetle.  Or a '56 Chevy.  Or a Jeep CJ5.  But even less expensive
would be simply renting a Dodge Neon for the occasional outing to the
country if that's what one wants to do.

> 6) *inherited cars*

Not a chance.  I do wish I had my grandfather's DeSoto.  Now there
was a car with style, two-tone gray, interesting lines, and a turn
signal with a distinctive blink-BLINK, blink-BLINK, blink-BLINK
sound.  Probably drove like a tank though.

> 7) *British classic car experience*

Uhhh, really?  Maybe some people buy an LBC so they can hang out with
the car guys, go to the meetings and stuff.  Going to events can be
fun, but it's a small fraction of the time an LBC absorbs.  The
social networking adds to the experience but it isn't the motive.

> The picnics, dinner, luncheons, pub meetups, driving
> tours, trips to chateaux, lakes, wineries, etc.

Where do I sign up?  Lemme' check my calendar...what happening next
November?

> This is a key motivation for the owner and co-owners who often
> happen to girlfriends, wives/spouses.

All the good stuff happens to girlfriends, wives, spouses.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

http://www.vtr.org