Re: [TR] Wheel/suspension movement

To: "'Ed Oot'" <eoot@citlink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Wheel/suspension movement
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:04:04 -0700
> Never the less,  if these are the likely causes, it would appear I am back
> to pulling things apart....and I didn't even get a chance to check out the
> results of my steering box rebuild and silent bloc replacement.

The good news is that the ball joint is relatively easy to change; you don't
need to compress the spring or remove the shock, etc.  I think it can even
be done without dismounting the brake caliper, tho I'm not certain of that
point.  ISTR I removed it as well, but without disconnecting the brake line
so it's just two bolts (and a piece of wire to support it while you work).

Undo the nut that locks the BJ to the A-arms, and pry/tap it out.  Depending
on the state of your rebound stop, you may need to use a jack to lift under
the spring pan, to get room to remove the nut.  Then swing the VL around
(may need to turn the steering wheel) so you can remove the nut that locks
it to the BJ peg.  Use your favorite method to remove the tapered peg.  I've
had good luck with the 3-finger style puller, but the BFH method works too.

Reassembly is the reverse <G>
The BJ should be held reasonably square to the A-arms while you tighten the
nut, until the splines grab and hold.

Of course it's up to you if you want to do a full suspension rebuild instead
of just changing the BJ.  If so, I prefer to start by removing the caliper,
shock & spring pan.  But it's a lot quicker to just replace the BJ.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net