Re: [TR] TR3A Front wheel bearings

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A Front wheel bearings
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:18:43 -0800
> I'm not feeling good about the job I did on the inside bearings.B  They
> are
> pressed in, so I scooped fingers of grease and did the best I could to
> squeeze
> it inside the edges of the races, but the races themselves are not
> exposed.

Terry, my suggestion is to use a drift through the center of the hub to tap
the inner race of the inner bearing out, which will knock the dust seal out
with it.  You can then clean and grease the bearing properly.

Normally the dust seal is reusable (don't recall ever having to replace it),
but even if not, it's a whole lot cheaper than a new bearing (or having a
failure on the road).  If the felt is separated from the metal cup, they can
be glued back together.

If you do replace the felt/seal, it's best to assemble without the seal
first, to set the bearing clearance.  Mark the nut position, then install
the seal and put the nut back where it was.  New seals are often thick
enough to upset the clearance measurement.

The cotter pin should be replaced every time, and I seem to wind up
replacing the dust cap about every 4th time.  But the bearings last almost
forever for me.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net