Re: [TR] Shipping a "heavy" item from England -

To: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Shipping a "heavy" item from England -
From: Michael Ferguson <tr3a@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:39:42 -0500
   Not  sure about heavy stuff, but I recently paid nearly $18 to ship an
   item  that  weighed  just a few ounces. This from the UK, just outside
   London.  Standard  Royal  Mail,  nothing special...well, except it was
   "royal". :)
   You have a 9 pound quaife?!! Wow!
   Barry Schwartz wrote:

I won an ebay auction for a heavy metal item (4 Kilos about 9 lbs) but the
post there has quoted the sender about 75 GBP (around $108).  That seems
awfully high to me - What is the preferred method for sending something of
this nature from England to the United States (Southern California)  Surely
it should cost less than that to send this item - I had a Quaife sent,
weighing probably about the same or possibly even a bit more, and it didn't
cost any where near that much.  And it arrived only a couple of days after
I ordered it, so it wasn't on the slow boat - - granted, it was probably
around 10 or more year ago, but things haven't gone up that much--have
they??
Barry Schwartz
La Mesa, CA (San Diego)
http://www.vtr.org