Re: [TR] TR-4 Rear oil seal modification

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR-4 Rear oil seal modification
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 15:00:49 -0800
> If the crankshaft gets up to 300 degrees F (about my oil temp as I
> recall), the seal is going
> to grow twice as fast as the crankshaft.

But with the seal bolted solidly to the water cooled block, it should stay
cooler than the crank.  So I don't think the clearance will increase that
much.

Also, I believe 300F is pretty high for oil temp in the pan.  The oil gets
significantly hotter in the bearings and on cylinder walls, and it doesn't
take much more than that to make it break down.  If you're getting 300F in
the pan, you might want to think about a cooler.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net