Re: [TR] installing a u-joint

To: jimmuller@rcn.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] installing a u-joint
From: DLylis@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:07:49 EDT
Jim,
This is the way I do it and it goes rather well and rather quickly.   First I
give a soaking of PB Blaster to minimize the pounding as much as  possible.
I put a large (1 1/16) socket on the floor to drive the cap into  and use a
smaller (3/4 ?) socket to drive the opposing cap toward the socket on  the
floor.  Once it goes all the way so it can't go forward any more, I  flip it
over
and put a cold chisel in the cross of the spider and drive it the  other way.
I flip it back over again and put a 1/8 drift past the end of  the spider into
the cap and drive the cap out.  Do it again on the other  one and the whole
thing just falls apart.
After vices and presses and cursing I found this to be the best for me and  I
can change a U Joint in about 6 minutes.
When you reassemble do not just go and drive everything home. Use the
suggested grease methods for holding in the rollers, but as you start to seat
the
caps, take a break and check the joint for free play.  Only seat the  caps
enough to get the rings in, no more.  If when you are done the joint  is stiff,
you have driven it too much together and should loosen  it.  I have found the
holding in the hand and tapping on the yoke  technique will free it up.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO

fuel-efficient used cars.