[TR] TR3A upper ball join lubrication

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR3A upper ball join lubrication
From: amcewen2@cogeco.ca
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:17:51 -0400
Hi Listers,

I don't think my drivers side upper ball joint is getting proper lubrication.
When I apply grease it all escapes out
the edges of the flat top plate where the grease fitting is attached, the
rubber boot doesn't seem to be full and
certainly there's no grease overflow in that section.   I've tried it both with
the road wheel loaded and unloaded (and
full steering lock while unloaded).

The ball joint is only a season old so I'd really rather not pull the spring
etc...   Any suggestions for resolving this
while the parts are in situ?   Compressing he spring further would seem counter
productive, extending it more somehow?
Loosening the nut?  Not sure if I could pry against the upper A arm (to free
the spring load) without damaging the
rubber boot.

Or am I just going to have to break down and pull the suspension apart?  sigh...

Thanks.

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net