[TR] TR4 - Dwell v Points Gap

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4 - Dwell v Points Gap
From: "Geo & Kathleen Hahn" <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:56:11 -0700
I believe the dwell for a correct TR4 distributor is usually quoted as 60* or
else as a range centered on that such as 57* - 63*.  Points gap is either .015
or a range of .014 - .016 depending on where one looks.

I have always set the gap and thus ignored the dwell but recently I looked at
both.

I find that I cannot adjust to both specs.  A .015 gap yields a dwell of 48*
--- a 60* dwell can only be achieved with a .008 gap.

Either way, once I re-adjust the timing, the engine runs fine.  Maybe not
exactly as well each way but any difference is beyond my notice.

Soooo... which way do I set it?  Or do I split the difference?  Since the
relationship between gap and dwell would seem to be purely mechanical based on
the shape of that little cam in the dizzy it doesn't suggest to me that
anything is really wrong.

For now I went with the 60* dwell and skinnier gap.  My thinking is that dwell
is the thing that is relevant to spark and gap is just a simple way to set the
dwell w/o an instrument.  My only concern with that is that the .008 gap
leaves a much smaller margin for the gap to close up as the piece of the
points set that rides on the cam wears dowm or as the points loosen over
time.

No I don't want a Pertronix, having so much fun with this set-up.

Geo

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net