Re: [TR] GT6 engine still seized

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] GT6 engine still seized
From: tom white <tswhitez123@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 14:06:20 +0000
This is probably grasping at straws.  Since you probably have the spark plugs
out get a fitting for an air hose that screws into a spark plug hole.  Then
connect a 150# air line to the fitting and see if you can get some movement
from apply the pressure to the piston.

Best regards,
Tom

> From: tr3driver@ca.rr.com
> To: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 15:02:16 -0700
> Subject: Re: [TR] GT6 engine still seized
>
> > I tried putting the car in 1st gear and all I can get is the
> > car to slid not able to get it to move forward at all.
>
> Actually, 4th gear works better for this; better mechanical advantage.
>
> >  When
> > I garaged the car all was well.  Not sure why everything is
> > seized and not sure where to go from here.  I tried all the
> > previous suggestions so now I need something new.
>
> Unfortunately, Jerry, I think it's time to pull the head off and get the
bad
> news.
>
> Not that it's any consolation, but I've seen it before.  Many years ago, a
> friend went off to the Army and left his MGA with a freshly rebuilt motor
> parked at my place.  When I tried to move it a couple months later, the
> engine was locked solid.  Ultimately he had to break one of the brand-new
> pistons to get it out of the bore.
>
> The problem is that there are always cylinders with the valves open,
> exposing them to outside air.  With changes in barometric pressure,
> temperature and humidity, dew forms inside the cylinder; which has bare,
> dissimilar metals in close contact.  If the oil film gets washed away, the
> result is corrosion.  And what seems most ironic, it's "fresh" engines that
> seem mostly prone to this problem.  Old, tired engines have a coating of
> varnish on everything ...
>
> Randall

> http://www.vtr.org
>

> Triumphs@autox.team.net
>
> You are subscribed as tswhitez123@hotmail.com
>
> http://www.team.net/archive

Give to a good cause with every e-mail. Join the im Initiative from
Microsoft.
http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?souce=EML_WL_ GoodCause

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net