Re: [TR] TR4 Brakes

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <Brian.L.Jones@gsk.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Brakes
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@notwires.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 15:00:59 -0500
> The traditional method is to have the car on jack stands and spin the
> wheel as you are tightening the brake adjuster. This, however, does not
> take into consideration the front shoe (which adjusting has no effect),

But the brake cylinder is designed to slide in the slot in which it is
located in the backplate, so that when the brakes are applied both shoes are
moved, one by the action of the piston and the other by the reaction on the
cylinder.  Thus, the adjuster is adjusting both shoes, not just the "front"
shoe.  If the brake cylinder did not slide, you would not have the full
braking effort, because the leading shoe would be doing all the work and the
trailing shoe would do nothing.  In actual fact, because of the "self-servo"
effect, the leading shoe does more of the braking than the trailing shoe,
but if the brake cylinder did not slide the trailing shoe would do
absolutely nothing at all - it would never move.

Furthermore, by partially applying the handbrake before adjusting you are
actually increasing the distance that the piston must move when the
footbrake is applied with the handbrake off, thereby negating the adjustment
that you just performed.

I am afraid to say that the VTR article is not as right as it could be, to
quote Tim "The Toolman" Taylor.

Mike

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net