[TR] Blood Sacrifice to the Triumph Gods

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Blood Sacrifice to the Triumph Gods
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 23:47:50 +0000
No, this is not about the cost of Triumph parts.

For some time, forever perhaps, I've been plagued by loud engine noise.  I
assumed that because my bracket for the first alternator conversion was poorly
constructed and vibrated like crazy, so that I'd ruined the bearing of the
alternator I'd recently converted to, so swapped the alternator out.

The sound persisted.

Last night and tonight, fighting New England mosquitoes and black flies, I
installed the new water pump from Moss.  I tried to source a replacement hooked
vane pump from Ken Gilanders, but he informed me that the aged gentlemen who
manufactured them for him had left the business and he no longer had a supplier.

Not a lot of room to on the alternator, as you all know.  Less because of the
heat shield.

Started it again tonight, and with the new water pump the noise has vanished.
Maybe because the original pump bearings weren't up to standards, or because of
the aforementioned heavy vibration through the belt from the bad bracket, the
water pump went bad.

The good news is, the new vitron (vitrol?) rubber grommets to seal the fuel
resevoir took five minutes to install and got rid of the smell of gas that my
wife, who thinks Triumphs are a return to the Dark Ages, complained incessantly
about on the second trip she's ever ventured with me.

More good news is, I didn't abruptly dump coolant onto Interstate 93.

All is well.  ...Just need wash the grease off and apply the disinfectant.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net