Re: [TR] Carb Questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Carb Questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 22:34:55 -0700
> I measured the play using a dial
> indicator in the center of the carb throat and I can lift the
> shaft .002, but I don't know if this is good or horrible???

.002" isn't bad; but is that along the axis of the carb throat, or across it
?  My experience is that they tend to wear the most vertically (plus that's
the axis that gives the most trouble, since it allows the throttle disc to
drag on the bottom of the throat).

> Haynes says TESM.

Just one of the many misprints in the Haynes, IMO.  Both TD and TE needles
were used in earlier cars; SM is the recommended replacement for all
TR3/A/B.  Check page 443 of the Bentley.

>  Should I be using a richer needle to
> compensate for the elevation?

If anything, should be leaner for high altitudes, I believe.  The correct
mixture is determined by the relative mass of oxygen and fuel; while
carburetors mix by volume rather than by mass.  At high altitudes, the air
has less mass per cubic foot.

Wouldn't hurt to try a pair of slightly leaner needles (like the SL needles
Moss lists); might improve your fuel mileage a bit.  But I don't think it
would be a big improvement, and it certainly won't hurt anything (except
maybe your wallet) to keep your SM needles.

> BTW, all this should leave me with a spare pair of Stromberg
> 175s should anyone be in need you can contact me off list.

No, thanks.  Got all I need (besides I prefer HS6).

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net