Re: [TR] surface TR3 exhaust manifold?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] surface TR3 exhaust manifold?
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 23:36:16 +0000
A friend of mine told me I should have the exhaust manifold surfaced before
re-assembling. It is not rusted, but not perfectly clean either. What are your
thoughts? how much can the gasket cover up?

Actually, the gasket can cover quite a bit up. While I am not arguing that you
should or should not resurface your manifold, there is a thick spongy graphite
manifold gasket made by Remflext that come in standard 1/8 inch thickness and
are designed to crush 50%, which allows it to fillgaps in teh flange surface of
up to 1/16 of an inch.
I developed exhaust leaks twice after my rebuild, installed one of these, and
am delighted that I can now cruise at 80 mph without having to worry about
blowing it again.
Uhm...I just can't find my receipt to tell you who I bought it from.  (...Guess
that means NFI, huh?)  Joe Alexander, was it you????
Terry Smith, '59 TR3A (still blocked by two feet of snow)
New Hampshire

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net