[TR] Its alive ! Its Alive!

To: tr3driver@ca.rr.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Its alive ! Its Alive!
From: DLylis@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 07:37:49 EST
Sorry about the "Young Frankenstein" quote.
I started the 3A motor yesterday for the first time since the  rebuild.  No
body so I had to build some wiring off the control box and  solenoid.
The motor started real hard even though I set the crank at 4 degrees BTDC
and set the points to open there.  I systematically went back through
everything including cam (via rockers) to make sure that all was done correctly
 and it
is.  I friend stopped by and while I was fooling with it loosened  the
distributor and twisted it to an extreme retard (as it appeared to me) and
said
crank it, which I did.  He moved it back toward advance and it  fired and ran
well.  We locked the distributor down and took it gradually  up to 2000 rpm and
let it sit there.  After about 5 - 7 minutes the temp  went up to 200 degrees
and continued north so I shut it down.  I let it  cool down and started again
and again it ran well but I advanced the spark until  the revs came up and then
backed it down to retard until the revs dropped about  100 rpms and left it.
I set the trottle at 2000 rpms and let her run for  20 minutes.  Toward the
end the temp started to creep back up and again  touched 200 degrees and
started north so I shut it down again.  Drained the  oil and all looks well.
My distributor drive is set correctly by the keyway and the offset drive
slot.  The rotor appears to be correctly positioned at static timing, but  the
position of the distributor while running is quite off from the position at
static timing.
Mechanical advance?

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L