Re: [TR] Relative values

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Relative values
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:38:15 EST
In a message dated 11/16/2007 5:42:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
standardtriumph@btinternet.com writes:

...Not  only engine performance but gearing, tyre and braking
technology and  overall handling. I've had a lot of fun that way in taking an
older car  *almost* to
its safe limits against the best of modern mass produced stuff  and when you
do that - and come out
ahead of the other guy, or you make  him mad by so doing - that's where
'originality' comes to the
fore. Dare I  say it, or has it got something to do with the ability to
safely push older  technology
to the limit? Yes, miles on the odometer, squashed flies on the  paintwork,
the smell of a hot engine
and brake pad dust on the  wheels.

==AM==
Right, John! I'm the first to recognize limitations with my "lowly" (and  99%
stock) Herald 1200 sedan. If nothing else, it certainly would do better in
terms of fuel economy with an OD or a lower numerical diff. ratio, or perhaps
both. And I do admit to having added 4.5" wheels and radial tires (as opposed
to  the original 3.5" wheels and bias-plies)...oh, and Koni shocks on the rear
 (since they, too, were kicking around the barn unused). But I'm pretty sure
I've  impressed/surprised a few surrounding drivers with the car's cornering
ability.  And I'm getting an honest 30 mpg in mixed-condition driving.

Do I ever feel less than "safe" in the Herald? Sure...every time some
mindless idiot multi-tasking in an oversize SUV or pickup fills my rearview
mirror.
;-)

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with   wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and
Triumph Herald Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)

http://www.vtr.org

http://www.team.net/donate.html