Re: [TR] Fan Hookup

To: "levilevi" <levilevi@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] Fan Hookup
From: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:37:38 -0800
I own a 1998 Jag VDP. Big 4 liter V8. The electric fan(s) keep running
after shut down for varying periods. The hotter the day the longer the
fan(s) stay on. The same is true for an electric fan installed in my
TR-6 equipped with a thermocouple in the rad. Most of the modern cars I
have driven exhibit the same behavior. Now, whether or not the entire
cooling system cools quicker due to the continued fan operation is a
moot point. Seems to me that the engineers designing the systems had
good reason to keep the fans running post engine shut down. As the
coolant looses heat small differential temperature currents keep moving
coolant through the system as long as the thermostat remains open. I
suspect it's set up this way to prevent coolant from reaching boiling
temp in the block after shut down. I also suspect that this is very
important, possibly critical in the new aluminum engine blocks such as
the Jag's V-8.

On the other hand I could be bloody bonkers.

Deano