Re: [TR] Exhaust notes (off topic?)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Exhaust notes (off topic?)
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 22:15:32 -0000
John Herrera's observations about exhaust and propellor noise was absolutely
correct. It's true the
prop does make one helluva racket in it's own right. One of prop noises I
really enjoy is the snarl
you get when changing from coarse to fine pitch - or vice versa.

There's another (as yet unstated noise) with aircraft engines. It's when you
'surge' a turbo-prop
gas turbine and it goes bang. The sound of compressor and turbine blades
spinning round the test
cell x000rpm makes a John Wayne western gunfight seem positively tame. How do I
know this?

Let's just say the incident in question considerably foreshortened my
anticipated career with the
Rolls Royce Aero Engine Division back in the '60's and that's how I got to be
with Standard-Triumph.
I often think about that RR 'Tyne' engine and how it absolutely didn't shape my
later career. If it
had, I wouldn't have come to know all you great people :)

Jonmac

PS To add in the Triumph content, a 2000 or 2500 6 pot engine (preferably
injected) with a decent
6-3-1 manifold, just one rear silencer and a resonator is still a fabulous
sound under heavy load at
about 4500rpm.

http://www.vtr.org

http://www.team.net/donate.html