Re: [TR] engine rebuild follow on

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [TR] engine rebuild follow on
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 11:10:36 -0800
> I mentioned after the initial start up about a
> smokey oil filler which seemed to go away, well its back and
> not going away, once I run the engine I am getting smoke back
> through the filler after turning off.
> I guess this is either valves or rings, hopefully the former.

As already noted, it's much more likely to be the latter.  But a small
amount of smoke is normal, IMO, so unless it becomes a nuisance or other
symptoms develop, I would suggest (as before) to simply ignore it.

> The second is a dripping of water from the underside of the
> water pump, this was a NOS item, can the pump leak or must it
> be from the gasket area?.

It was common for the old seals to take some time to seat.  Some sources
even say to spin the pump before installing it (using a motor-driven wire
wheel or similar).  If the water is from the weep hole and is just a drip,
you might try driving it several hundred miles to see if it clears up.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

http://www.team.net/donate.html

Triumphs@autox.team.net