Re: [TR] TR3A Distributor

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A Distributor
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 17:24:29 -0700
> My '59 TR3A has a DM-2 dizzy.  Uncle Dave at TRF gave me the
> bad news that no Petronix models are made to fit it.

Huh ?  Then why does TRF's catalog list P/N PTR101, as "Pertronix, TR2
models with positive ground and Lucas model DM2 distributors" ?
http://www.zeni.net/trf/feature/10.php?s_wt=1152&s_ht=864

> Unfortunately, neither do any of the readily available points
> sets, probably because the previous owner swapped out the
> original plate with something else.  I can squirrel points to
> fit, but am sick of the aggravation.

So, if that's the only problem, why not source a point plate ?  If memory
serves, the point plate from a 25D4 should drop right in; and allow you to
use your choice of either positive or negative ground Pertronix units, or
even points if you want.  Used 25D4 dizzys frequently sell on eBay for under
$20
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=160155197322
(that one's for an MG obviously, but the point plate and most other parts
are the same for all 25D4)

Another choice would be to fit a Crane XR700, which is "one size fits all",
to your existing dizzy.  It's more trouble to fit, but should work fine even
with your mystery point plate.

> ...So, to replace the dizzy, is there a more common variety
> that takes points and Petronix and is easily available?

What about a Lucas 25D4 ?  Ask around your local club, I'll bet someone has
one they'll part with cheap.

Randall