Re: [TR] Water seeping up studs on a TR3A

To: "Alan Seigrist" <healey.nut@gmail.com>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Water seeping up studs on a TR3A
From: <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 13:03:09 -0700
---- Allan Reich <areich@telus.net> wrote:
> I just replaced the head gasket on my TR3A again,

Did you check the nuts, studs & washers as I suggested before ?  Liner
protrusion ?  Check head for flatness ?

> I have heard about lead wire seal and cooling fluid sealing .. what are
> the thoughts of the List group ???

My first thought would be to run it a bit more and see if the problem corrects
itself.  Ordinary quality anti-freeze (which I assume you replaced after
changing the head gasket) contains a small amount of stop-leak, which may be
effective after some time.  It's also possible some times for coolant to be
trapped in the stud cavity and be forced out when the engine gets hot (which
will stop eventually).

If not, you could try some Aluma-Seal (my favorite) or similar.  Otherwise, I'm
afraid it's off with the head again, to try to find the leakage path.

Randall