RE: [TR] SU questions

To: "'list Triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] SU questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 17:20:38 -0700
> Doesn't the SU Carb. dash pots/oil level/Carb dip sticks
> determine the carbs throttle reactions?  Especially under load?

That's one way to put it.  The carbs don't actually respond to engine load
though, just airflow.

> I think both SU's are suppose to act identical,...right?

Definitely.

> Would there be any good likelyhood that thinner oil in one
> carb. might help sychronize their movements?

Not bleeding likely !!  If there is some difference, you need to find what
is wrong and correct it.  The carbs should be identical in function;
deliberately making one different is just going to make things worse.

> One of my SU H6's dip stick's presses laterally on the
> piston's tube, so that it doesn't operate correctly.  Is this
> often corrected by simply bending the dip stick?

No, it should be corrected by replacing the damaged part.

> This unequal rubbing proably won't affect idle, will it?

Yes, it will.  Any rubbing or binding whatsoever will upset the mixture at
all throttle settings (including idle).

And, even if it didn't affect it directly, anything that upsets idle mixture
will also affect mixture at other throttle settings; since the mixture
adjustment done at idle also changes the mixture for the entire range.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org