Re: [TR] Recalls & Smart Laws - signalling

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Recalls & Smart Laws - signalling
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 08:11:02 -0400
At 05:55 AM 6/30/2007, Brian Jones wrote:
>I do not buy, at
>all, the 'I don't need to signal when no-one is around'. There is
>more effort in evaluating if you have immediate company or not, than
>there is in just signaling.

At the risk of running off-topic, I respectfully disagree.  I make an
effort to know who is around me all the time, especially since I
drive a Spitfire.   When the time comes to change direction, I
already know if there is other traffic that may be affected by my
move - I don't need to do a scan.

My hard-to-find signal lever has only so many uses in it before it
has to be replaced, at great expense (to me, anyway).  I prefer to
extend it's life as much as possible, thus I restrict the use of it
until such time as someone else might see it...

A koan:  If a turn signal flashes on the highway, and no one is
around to see it, does it blink?

>And signaling, everytime, without fail,
>quickly becomes an effortless, automatic task that requires no
>conscious effort.

Hopefully changing lanes after signalling does not also become
automatic and unconscious... <g>

Cheers,
Jeff Scarbrough
Dented Fender, Ga.