[TR] 2nd gear & bush differences

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Triumph Stag Discussion
Subject: [TR] 2nd gear & bush differences
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:52:34 -0700
So, I'm trying to make one good Stag manual gearbox out of parts of two of
them.  The donor box is earlier than the one I'm trying to rescue; so I'm
struggling to identify and use compatible parts.  Worse yet, both of them
have been serviced before and assembled with at least some incorrect parts !

My question involves second gear on the mainshaft, and the bush it rides on.
Both the later Stag and late TR6 use the P/N TKC454 gear and UKC956 steel
"top hat" bush.  Earlier Stags use P/N 158771 gear and 153237 steel plain
bush (which appear to be Stag-unique parts).

At the same time, the adjusting washer between 2nd gear and the shoulder on
the mainshaft got thicker by about .080", which implies to me that the gear
itself got thinner by a corresponding amount.

However, even though I found one of each kind of bush, both 2nd gears appear
to be the same thickness (to within a few thousandths anyway).

So my question is : Does anyone know how to identify a TKC454 gear versus a
158771 gear ?  Or the relevant dimension of either type of bush ?

TIA
Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org