[TR] brake rotor runout

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] brake rotor runout
From: "Tom Note" <tom628@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:32:25 -0400
I checked the runout of the front rotors of our '76 TR6 with a dial
indicator, and got TIR readings of 0.008" and 0.012". There was a little
slop in the bearings, so I snugged them up, but it didn't make any
difference in the runout.
My Haynes manual lists a runout spec. of 0.002" and recommends replacement
if much over this but,of course, gives no limit.
The rotor surfaces look very good.
My questions are:
     1. Do the above readings require replacement of the rotors?
     2. Could the runout be caused by some irregularity where the rotors are
mounted to the hub?
TIA,
Tom

===     http://www.vtr.org