Re: [TR] Lucas SLR576 Fog/Driving Lamps

To: William Brewer <bbrewer@tvwireless.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Lucas SLR576 Fog/Driving Lamps
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:49:12 -0400
On Sunday 10 June 2007 10:50 pm, William Brewer wrote:
>       I am thinking about fitting Lucas SLR or SFT576 driving lamps
> on my TR3A. I notice that sometimes they will have one of each
> mounted on a TR. Why is that? Is there a correct side for the fluted
> lens and another for the driving lens?
>       I have also toyed around with fitting SLR700's, which are an
> inch bigger. The 700's are 7 inch and the 576 are 5.75 inch. Has
> anyone seen them mounted on a TR3? Do they look right or are they too
> big?
>       I have also looked at Lumax's, but the lens look too flat to go
> with the TR3's rakish good looks and aerodynamics. Is anyone using
> Lumax S7's?
>       What other driving lights are out there that listers use? I
> have been considering some KC Hilites that are for sale at the local
> Carquest. They actually look like they would look good on a TR for
> about 1/3 the price of a Lucas 576 repro part.
>       Is anyone using the repro Lucas 576's that are offered by MOSS
> or on Ebay? How is their quality compared with an original?
>
>       Enough foggy questions.
>
>       Bill Brewer
>       Tehachapi, CA

Bill,

I have always mounted driving lights with the "fluted" lens on the right and
the flat or spot lamp on the left.

I am using Raydyot lamps for both the 3 and 4. My fluted also are yellow and
act as a "fog" light producing a very wide beam.

The spot lamp is a narrow beam and is used to see into the next county!

The set I have on the 3 is very old, 60s vintage. I got them at a local
foreign parts store. The set I have on the 4 is not quite as old but I am
unsure of when they were made. Got them off of Ebay. Cleaned them up and was
able to get new halogen bulbs from the Little British Car Company.

I have no experience with either the Lucas or repro Lucas but I am sure they
perform the same function.

I can supply pics if you would like.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org