RE: [TR] Front Brake Calipers

To: "'james mc arthur'" <jrmcarthur@verizon.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Front Brake Calipers
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 07:52:22 -0700
> Can someone tell me first,
> which is the correct caliper for my car (1974 TR6/ CF17672U),

I believe that car should have the later PB calipers, with the oversize
mounting holes and metric threads on the inlet.  Note that there is also an
early PB caliper with smaller holes & standard threads; as well as the
earliest (TR6) P caliper (which also has the smaller holes & standard
threads).

> and second, if this is something I should be concerned about?

Functionally they are identical; as long as you have the appropriate bolts,
adapter pipes and pads.  Biggest problem is that the 'P' calipers take a
different rebuild kit than the 'PB' ones do.  So you'll have to buy two kits
to rebuild both calipers.  If your one PB caliper is a later metric type,
then it also takes a different pad (according to the Moss catalog anyway),
so you'll also have to buy two sets of pads (if it's a late PB).

So, my approach would be to buy the other rebuild kit/pads & put the car
back together with the calipers you have.  Figure out which PB caliper you
have, and keep your eye out for a mate for it.  Next time you feel like
rebuilding the calipers, you can make them match.  The 'P' calipers are
somewhat rarer, so maybe you can find a rabid restorer to give you silly
money for it <G>

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org