[TR] Problems with St-Zn Carb Floats for a TR4

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Problems with St-Zn Carb Floats for a TR4
From: Cosmo Kramer <tr4a2712@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 05:08:16 -0700 (PDT)
Hi List!
  A friend of mine is having a problem with his TR4 Zn-St carb/Float Bowels.
Below is his E-mail address. PLEASE reply to HIM [Dave], NOT ME! Because pic.
can NOT be send to this TRIUMPH List, you will have to ask 'Dave' to E-mail you
pics#: CIMG2134; CIMG2127; CIMG2130; CIMG2131; CIMG2132; CIMG2133 Here is what
          From:   "Pam and Dave Gildner at Teksavvy" <penguin@teksavvy.com>
                 Hi Jeff/Cosmo,

  Here's a brainwave - send you some photos!  I should have thought of that
before.

  I'm showing the newest float valve in the installed position, and the other
two types that I have tried.  The newest one is a supposedly original-type
needle-and-seat, the next oldest is the Grose Jet, and the oldest (which were
in the carbs when I bought the car) is also a needle-and-seat.  But if you look
at the two N&S ones closely, you will see they are constructed differently.
Are you familiar with the two types of N&S, and is one worse than the other?
The newest one was purchased last September, so has very little mileage on it.

  In playing with the carb tonight, I was blowing into a rubber hose,
pretending I was the gasoline.  To my surprise, I found that if I closed the
valve by raising the float, then let the float down, the plunger would often
not drop down.  That is not too strange, but when I blew into the hose, it was
closed and stayed closed.  I could not blow any air through.  The carb was in
normal upright position at the time.  So the "new" valve stuck closed, at least
against the pressures that I was able to generate by blowing.  To me, this
should not happen.

  If it can stick in the closed position, I guess there is a possibility it
could stick in the open position, at least occasionally.  So now I am thinking
that the newest N&S valve is suspect.  I think I'll remove it, and probably put
back one of the original old N&S valves.  I can't remember if I experienced
leaking with them, it seems to me I just replaced them on spec, while the carbs
were apart for rebuilding.  But I have definitely had leaking during the tenure
of the Grose Jets.

  That will be my next task, some evening soon.
  Regards,
  -Dave

-Cosmo Kramer

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.