Re: [TR] spit

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] spit
From: <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:26:05 -0400 (EDT)
randy sandner wrote:
> i have come across a 79 spit, 4 cyl, /c a switch on the
> shifter 'in/out' is this an OD tranny?

Yes.  It is, in fact, Lucas' ideal location for the OD switch, and it's a pity
it took Standard-Triumph so long to figure it out. :-)

> new alternator, new tires, new belts. minor surface rust.
> no through and through holes. needs paint job. 117K on odo.
> asking 2K.
> worth it?

Yes, but with some qualifications.  That's a lot of miles.  For all you know,
the gearbox may be worn out, the OD may not work, the gearbox and diff could
both leak like a stop sign with bullet holes, the engine may have a burnt valve
or two and worn rings, the tie rod ends might need replacing, both clutch
cylinders might leak, the rear bearings are maybe worn so that the halfshafts
need replacing, perhaps the u-joints rattle, maybe the brakes are so broke they
don't brake, the electric fan might not spin with any authority, etc.  On the
other hand, if the frame and body are in really good shape and you have the
time, money, and inclination to fix all the other problems that may show up
(I'm not saying they will), it's a good way to start.  A well-sorted Spitfire
is a really fun machine.  I haven't been following the market, but that sounds
like a fairly good price.  As long as all those other things aren't too bad...

> would be buying for 1st wife of 35 years, probably do a
> frame  off. worth it?????????????????

Ah, is there a second, or is the first still the only?  The answer to that
question changes the entire playing field!

If you intend to do a frame-off one day, and upgrade all the mechanicals, then
starting with a good frame and body would seem to be a good thing.
--
Jim Muller
Spitfire driver for 20 years

===     http://www.vtr.org