RE: [TR] re : TR4 Turn Signal Lever

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] re : TR4 Turn Signal Lever
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 22:29:06 -0500
On 6 Dec 2006 at 15:54, Randall wrote:

> > As for it requiring my hands off the wheel, the OD seems to
> > me a tool mainly for Interstate use.
> Well, of course that's because you also don't have a "sports car" OD !
> :^)

Okay, so I walked into that one.

> With the A-type as fitted to TR3-early TR6, 2nd OD is an almost perfect
> split between 2nd direct and 3rd direct.  That plus the fact it's available
> instantly (as opposed to the rather lazy shifting of the J-type) with your
> foot still on the throttle...

On a Spitfire, of course, the OD isn't available in 2nd, and OD-3rd
is very nearly non-OD-4th so using it as an additional gear for
acceleration is pointless.  Re the A-type, I have no point of
comparison because I've never driven one, and as I understood it the
reason it isn't available in 2nd is to avoid the higher torque, so
perhaps the J-type isn't as robust as the A.  But my J is definitely
not rather lazy shifting, nor does it mind being shifted under full
throttle.  Of course, everyone has a different perspective.  Some
people need more power to have a good time... :^)

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org