RE: [TR] tail light socket grounding

To: "Eric Butschek" <ebutschek@austin.rr.com>, "'Triumph Email List'"
Subject: RE: [TR] tail light socket grounding
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 11:09:02 -0800
>  I can't seem to get all my tail lights to work well. I've cleaned the
> holders,

Are these the same holders as used by the TR6 & Stag ?  If so, the holder itself
may be defective.  There is a metal-to-metal junction inside the holder that is
held together only by soft plastic, and over time the plastic deforms and fails
to hold the metal pieces in good contact.  You can check for this condition by
installing a bulb, and using an ohmmeter between the metal shell of the bulb
(might have to stick a pin or something into the gap to reach the shell) and the
ground clip (or terminal).  It is possible to repair these by soldering a wire
between the two metal pieces, but IMO it's better to just replace the holder.
If you do, the new holders come with a terminal for a ground wire, resulting in
a much better arrangement (after you run a new ground wire to each holder).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org