[TR] trip to Brit Bits

To: triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] trip to Brit Bits
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:51:03 -0500
Yesterday we had planned a recreational trip up the North Shore in
the GT6.  I happened to notice from their website that Brit Bits in
Rye, NH was holding a tech session, and since they are great friends
to LBC owners we decided to make that our first destination.  Got
there about 1:30PM, rather late.  They were about finished repacking
a front wheel bearing on an MGA.  They also made their lift available
for attendees' cars so we could inspect their undersides.  So we ran
the GT6 up in the air and all looked well, mostly.  The front seal on
the diff is leaking slightly (duh, so what else is new?).  I noticed
that one of the swaybar mounts had broken away from the frame.  Hmmm,
looks like a welding job is in store.

One gent from New Hampshire had a nice '73 TR6 with a hardtop,
darkish greenish blue.  He said he'd owned it for 30 years, drove it
100 miles/day commuting every day during non-winter months.  He'd
also driven it across the country a time or two.  By his estimate
from the number of times he'd bought new tires it had between 350,000
and 400,000 miles.  The engine compartment looked like a daily driver
but was otherwise clean.  Twin Webers, Crane/Allison ignition.  New-
ish looking carpet inside.  If he wasn't pulling everyone's leg with
the mileage figure it was an inspiring car.

Saw a bunch other other nice cars too.  Beautiful TVR.  Nice AH3000.
Plenty of stuff for sale on consigment.  Coupla' MGT-somethings.  MG
sedan, 1953 I think.  Several nice TR6's.

We ended the day by walking a few miles along the Atlantic coastine
on Rt 1A in Rye.  It was a great day to drive a Triumph.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org