RE: [TR] Silicone Wires with Screw Terminal Dizzy Cap

To: "'Jeffrey J. Barteet'" <barteet@mrl.ucsb.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Silicone Wires with Screw Terminal Dizzy Cap
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:09:09 -0800
> Does the terminal used with silicone wires have more surface
> area on the conductor?

Yes, lots.  It also does not pierce the conductor but squeezes it.  I
suspect it's the piercing that is really the problem.

> I do like the 90-degree distributor cap. It looks clean
> without all those dust boots.

Can't tell you what car it's for (Mini perhaps ?) but there is a 4-cyl Lucas
cap with 90 degree push-on fittings.  Still had dust boots originally, but
with the  terminals at 90 degrees, the boots might not be necessary.

> So for those of you who have already been down this road,
> what wires did you go to?

Alas, my "perfect" setup is no longer available, AFAIK.  Many years ago,
Whitaker made spark plug wire assemblies that consisted of tinned copper
cores, with two layers of insulation (Neoprene, I think, on the inside and
silicone on the outside).  These were molded together with silicone rubber
plug boots, that incorporated an RFI suppression resistor.  I wish now that
I had bought a truckload of them back when JCW sold them cheap !  But, the
set on my wrecked TR3A still looks to be in good shape after almost 20
years, and I'll be using them on the 'new' TR3.

Randall

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may
contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its
affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to
third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail
to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic
mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

===     http://www.vtr.org