[TR] Re: TR4 Trip meter reset knob

To: banc8004@comcast.net
Subject: [TR] Re: TR4 Trip meter reset knob
From: ScharfR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 11:53:00 EST
In a message dated 11/17/2006 3:15:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,

Date: Fri,  17 Nov 2006 07:09:26 +0000
From: banc8004@comcast.net
Subject: [TR] TR4  Trip meter reset knob

Sometime in its past life, the knob that should  be found below the
speedometer to reset the trip meter to zero has been  snapped off, level with
the
speedo's case. I can see something in there - the  stump of the reset knob, I
guess.

How is the knob connected into the  trip-meter mechanism? Does it push-on,
screw on, or  other?

Cheers,

Brian
'63 TR4
Valley Forge,  PA

Brian:

The short reset stem and knob attach with a tiny screw to the little stump
you see protruding from the speedometer case.  The screw is  perpendicular to
the shaft of the stem/stump. Or, said another way, the reset  stem fits over
the stump from the speedo like a sleeve. Then the screw goes  through a hole in
the reset stem into a threaded hold in the stump. If that's  not clear, let me
know and I'll send a picture.

As to your next likely question (Where does one find these parts?) my
solution was to keep an eye on eBay and buy the cheapest junk TR4/TR4A
speedometer
I could find that still had the reset stem attached. After I  "harvested" my
parts, I was able to send the remainder of the junk speedo  to a list member in
need of a few internal parts. That keeps the supply of  spares moving through
the food chain.

Bob Sharp
Michigan
64-ish TR4