Re: [TR] Electrical Short in '74 TR6

To: <GGanoung@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Electrical Short in '74 TR6
From: "Kinderlehrer" <Kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 18:05:07 -0800
A friend of mine has a tool for finding shorts. His was pupose built from
Snap-On or someone but if you can find the components it is pretty simple to
put one together. I think this may be it:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=11021&group_ID=1399&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
(of course it is no longer available)

>From his description, I haven't actually seen it, it has a quick release
circuit breaker, very low amperage rating with an automatic reset. Or maybe
the reset switch is just tied down? You plug this into the suspect circuit.
Then you use the compass like device that could actually be a compass and
trace the wires for that circuit.  The needle will go crazy from the
magnetic inductance of the circuit until you get to the short - no more
magnetic inductance and you have found the short.

I'm sure the EE's  on the list will have a much better understanding of what
would be needed to build such a thing?

HTH,
Bob