[TR] Webbing tension on TR4 hood sticks - cause of roof noise?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Webbing tension on TR4 hood sticks - cause of roof noise?
From: banc8004@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:40:50 +0000
My PO replaced the webbing on the hoodsticks of the TR4 when he replaced the
hood some years ago. I find that I get significant noise from the hood above 30
mph, and I suspect my webbing strips are too loose.

With the levers raised to the 'taut' position for the roof, the front webbing
strap - the one that attaches to the top-centre of the windscreen, and the two
straps at the rear, seem slack to me.

The front strap could have a least and inch taken out, the two rear strips
could lose half - to three-quarters of an inch too.

The symptoms I am getting above 30 mph are a drumming noise, and, if I put an
index finger over the rear hood stick while the drumming is going on, the noise
stops. One suggestion I have been offered was to add a piece of adhesive
weather strip to the top side of the hood sticks where the top lays on it - but
that treats the sysmptom, not the cause.

I am going t experiment with small c-clamps and small blocks of wood to
temporarily shorten the webbings by 'pinching' it to see if I can resolve this
before I start cutting and hacking...but just wondered: how taut are your
webbing straps?

Cheers,

Brian

===     http://www.vtr.org