[TR] TR6 LUK clutches, etc.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, tr6guy@cablespeed.com
Subject: [TR] TR6 LUK clutches, etc.
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@mrl.ucsb.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 06:10:32 -0800
Gary,

FYI:

in your clutch research, you might come across references to the "TRF Magic
Clutch Kit" which TRF offered a few years ago. Maybe they still do.

A "Buckeye Triumphs" article reverse engineered this kit and it consisted of a
throwout bearing from a toyota (as I recall) a Saab 900  pressure plate and a
regular clutch disk. When the kit was first marketed, I don't think the LUK
pressure plate was as well known or available as it is now, and the Borg and
Beck rebuilt units were suffering from some quality issues.

I fitted a Sachs Saab 900 (non-turbo) pressure plate to my aluminum flywheel and
a stock clutch disk and this setup has worked fine for me for a few years.

The sachs unit was German, and it appeared to be of very fine quality.

Before I got the Sachs pressure plate, I was running a lightened steel flywheel
with a Borg & Beck pressure plate that came with the car. The rebuilt Borg &
Beck was much heavier than the Sachs pressure plate and it looked like it had
been built by a blacksmith.

When I rebuilt the motor, I balanced the crank \ flywheel \ pressure plate
assembly, and the B&B pressure plate was so grossly out of balance that the
machine shop guy had to weld about an inch of 3/8" rod to one side to get it in
the ball park for him to balance it.

The crank that came with my motor was cracked, and I have to wonder if this
pressure plate played a role in it.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know of this one other option. I've heard good
things about the LUK assemblies, and that's probably the way to go at this
time.

My car is a '62 TR4, but I believe all the 4a-6 cars that have flywheels drilled
for the later diaphram pressure plates will take the Saab 900 pressure plate.

-jeffrey

--
Jeffrey J. Barteet
Materials Research Laboratory