[TR] TR7 tach gremlins

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR7 tach gremlins
From: "Stephen Sandberg" <Ssandberg@MEDIATECH-INC.COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:13:54 -0500
hello folks

I have a 1980 tr7 that is just emerging from a 6 year renovation
project    I have replaced the factory ignition with a crane xr700
system with the a ballast resistor in line to the coil. prior to this
the tach seemed to work (6 years is a long time though)

the tach is now rarely works.  every once in a while it works but most
of the time it does not.

I suspect a ground problem  but I am unsure of where the instrument
panel ground is

alternatively I wonder if I should hook the tach wire up before the
ballast resistor but that should not account for the intermittent
operation

lastly can I run a separate wire and somehow wire it into the tach
directly skipping the printed circuit that is on the back of the panel
all together

thanks in advance

Steve
1980 TR7