[TR] Big End Tap/ HPOF Preservation Class

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Big End Tap/ HPOF Preservation Class
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:24:43 EDT
Guys,
Just to confirm a fault diagnosis:  Whist firing up Ugly, the VE 76  TR7, on
a cold day, I have heard a metallic tap that increases with  revolutions.
Once warm it will almost go away but can still be  heard.  I am going to say
that
has to be a rod bearing going  south. I am wondering if it is now too far
south to simply  replace.  I must admit that I have never dropped a TR7 pan.  I

suppose the only way to find out is to drop the pan and take a look. If  major
scoring is present what do I do? Install new shells anyway?  I  am not going
to rebuild this motor and that is not an option.  I would go  to a Sprint
motor first.
Trouble is Ugly is a real survivor with only 35,000 miles on her and  dead
nuts original.  That is perhaps her only redeeming quality which  is probably
very unusual for a TR7 Coupe.  For sure a Canada for  the HPOF class that
former
VTR Board Member Bill Sohl has me been  thinking about.  HPOF would be
"Historic Preservation of Original  Features". Evidently, it is a class offered
by
the one of the Antique Car Clubs  here in America.  Anyone familiar with this?
Thanks,
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org