RE: [TR] Re: Breaking in engine in first gear

To: <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Re: Breaking in engine in first gear
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 07:50:23 -0700
> If your TR3 has the original non-synchro first gear DON'T DO IT! You'll
> break the first layshaft gear. I speak from bitter personal experience.

Bryan, I don't know what your problem was, but I disagree.  I've done full
throttle in first gear all the way out to redline, even with a warmed-over
motor, and NEVER broken a layshaft gear.  I have worn out a few layshafts,
certainly it's maximum stress and wear, but never broken a tooth.

And BTW, straight-cut gears are STRONGER than helical cut ... that's why big
truck transmissions whine so loudly (and typically don't have synchromesh), they
use straight-cut gears for strength.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org