Re: [TR] Winter Storage Oil Change

To: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Winter Storage Oil Change
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 05:10:08 +0000
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
> I did some reading some years back on oil differences between standard and
> synthetic.  The research pointed out that one of the damaging features of
> standard oil was its propensity to accept acids from combustion, and that
> these acids react with and deteriorate engine metals.
>
> ...So, it would seem to make logical sense (ahah, I am therefore already in
> trouble!) to change old oil out BEFORE storing for winter, rather than waiting
> to do an oil change in the spring.  ...Er, wouldn't it?  ...Or would the
> freshly changed oil lose lubrication properties simply by sitting all winter?
> (I'll be changing to synthetic, having broken in the engine now.)
>
> This seems so innane a question.  Still, where else could one raise a question
> like this, than the List?

What makes the most sense to me is to drive the car, dump the oil hot, put in
new oil, take out the spark plugs, shoot a little oil in each cylinder, then
turn over the engine with the starter motor for awhile to get fresh oil in the
bearings, then put in the spark plugs and leave it alone until spring.

You may want to work the clutch now and again, since TR clutches have a rep or
sticking in storage.

===     http://www.vtr.org