Re: [TR] Luggage rack mounting without holes in the trunk

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Luggage rack mounting without holes in the trunk
From: <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:00:14 -0400 (EDT)
DLylis wrote:
> I have given this some thought for my TR6 as I would like
> the occasional carrying capacity...
> It would seem to me to fashion a two straps that hook over
> the top edge of the lid...

I made a luggage carrier for my Spitfire in preparation for a week's camping
out of it.  The frame was a simple rectangle of wood and aluminum bars.  It was
held off the boot lid by four rubber cups attached to the screws that held the
frame together.  The aluminum bars and cups came off of another, very much
larger top carrier.  I first tried attaching it to the leading edge boot lid
with straps running to two rubber-coated hooks, but there was too little
clearance between the body panel and the boot lid.  So instead, I ran straps
diagonally over the forward corners of the boot lid, under each corner and back
out.  When the boot was closed the straps compressed the boot seal without any
damage and the extra bit of friction helped keep them from slipping.  The
trailing edge of the frame was held by straps running straight back to hooks
that went over the trailing lip of the boot lid.  Friction buckles on those
straps let me cinch everything down tight.  A towel under the rub!
 be!
r cups and cloth scraps under the hooks at the back protected the paint.
Putting it on the car with the protecting cloth in place was inconvenient but
once attached it was solid, and it still allowed the boot to be opened.  Also
it could be removed quickly and restored without tools.  We used it only that
one time but it worked great (the following year we took the GT6) and I'll use
it again when appropriate.

Mind you, I wouldn't do this with on a 98pt concourse car, but my cars are
driver.
--
Jim Muller
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+, the ultimate camping vehicles

===     http://www.vtr.org