[TR] Stromberg Needle Inquiry & Response...then front axle

To: mhooper@digiscreen.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Stromberg Needle Inquiry & Response...then front axle
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:59:28 EDT
Mark, as you likely know.....

The choices of Stromberg needles is limited.

It is possible to use SU needles with the application of shim stock on one
side of the SU needles.

Measure the difference between the two major diameters of the needles and
divide by two to get shim thickness. The resulting shim will centralize the
needle properly.

I use SU needles on my TR4 #197 Strombergs as prepared by Uncle Jack. Of
course, before making any changes, fuel & electrical systems should up to
factory
spec.

Speaking of Uncle Jack....Jack went through a major exercise in engineering
for TR2-6 front axle spindles and spacers. The Uncle Jack spindles, of course,
are superior in material and section modulus, but incorporate the same bearing
spacers you find in Austin-Healeys and MGs.

One major feature and benefit of the improved spindle and added spacer is the
elimination of the very disturbing brake "Pedal Drop". I experienced this
when I was autocrossing in the 60s and 70s.  Having it happen on sharp corner
in
a pack of cars after a high speed straight is extremely unpleasant.

Uncle Jack's axle assembly, when combined with Timken Bearings, is the way to
go if you are considering putting any additional stress on your TR2-6. I
suspect that Jack is approaching 100 assemblies in production and they are now
coming to your favorite LBC Distributor.

NFI on my part. I just acquired a set and they are going on my Triumph based
sports racer project. Veritable manufacturing jewlery...

Joe (A)

===     http://www.vtr.org