Re: [TR] Gas tank cap assembly

To: "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps@cox.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Gas tank cap assembly
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:23:54 -0400
> The 'new' rubber hose and clamps are fitted from below, or the clamps can
> be
> below and the hose passed through them from above. Then from above the
> 'new'
> rubber grommet is installed, then the whole cap assembly is installed
> through the grommet and the hose clamps tightened from below. It looks
> tough
> but once you get the hose and clamps on the neck of the tank, the rest is
> easy.
> Jim Bauder

Thank you, all who replied.  It did dawn on me eventually that what I had
wasn't original.  The car had come to me with a Triumph Spitfire gas tank,
and a bigt of fudging about had been done.  When I cut the hose down,
(thanks, Alex, for the picture), there was room to squirrel the assembly
together under the body shell.

Question:  Moss doesn't show that seal that seats the gas cap itself.  Looks
almost like an asbestos type material that fits in the groove directly
beneath the cap.  Has anyone replaced this?  Any favorite solution?
(o-ring?)

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

===     http://www.vtr.org