Re: [TR] TR6: seeking exhaust recommendation

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6: seeking exhaust recommendation
From: John Dombey <jdombey@infoscapecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:57:15 -0700
>>I'd rate the Falcon TR6 SS exhaust system one lug wrench whereas I would rate
>>the TR3 and the TR8 systems three lug wrenches.

I'll chime in with pretty much the same opinion regarding the TR6 and TR8
Falcon systems.  The TR8 is great - barks when you get on it, wuffles nicely
when you don't.  The TR6 is fine too - mine doesn't resonate (although a
friends does), and has a decent enough tone.  Depending how you use your car, a
louder, deeper tone isn't necessarily a good thing, so give it some thought
before you do anything.  If you drive it daily, the noise will start to be an
annoyance rather than a joy after a while.

Regarding the Monza, I had one for about 8 months many years back, and the
drone drove me nuts.  There was a resonance right around 3000RPM, which is
where I spent a lot of time on my commute before I installed and overdrive.
Great for a weekend drive, miserable  on a daily basis.  I'm notoriously cheap
(no, make that frugal, yeah, that's it!) and I plunked down cash for the
stainless setup when I couldn't take the Monza anymore.  On a side note, the
construction quality of my Monza was really bad - it leaked anywhere there was
a weld, most notably at the seams of the 'Y' adapter where the pipe splits into
two (not at the pipe joints - at the factory welded seams! - it was made from a
pair of pressings)  I've not heard that complaint from other users, so maybe
mine was built on a Monday morning or something.  I just welded it up myself
rather than returning it.

As always, YMMV,

John Dombey
'69 TR6