RE: [TR] Wattage of bulbs

To: "Chris Buckley" <chris.buckley@tz.knightfrank.com>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Wattage of bulbs
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:16:35 -0700
> The indicator on my TR4A operates very slowly and I was advised that this is
> caused by using bulbs of too high wattage.

More likely, IMO, the current is too low rather than too high.  This can be
caused by old bulbs, corroded wiring or contacts, weak ignition switch, etc.
Try checking the voltage delivered to the bulb, with the bulb connected; I think
you will be surprised at how low it is.

> I cannot find what these ratings
> should be (there are the back and front indicators plus the side flasher
> total 6 bulbs). While we are about it, what about other exterior bulbs eg
> park and brake lights.

Generally, turn signal and brake filaments are 21 watts.  My TR4A owner's
handbook 2nd ed lists :

Parking                 4 watts Lucas 222
Repeater flashing               21 watts        Lucas 382
Brake/Tail                      21/6            Lucas 380
Plate Illumination      6 watts Lucas 207
Panel Illumination      2.2 watts       Lucas 987
Headlamp (Home Market)  60/45           54521060

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org