[TR] Decarbonization

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Decarbonization
From: Jim <cartr4a@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:22:40 -0700 (PDT)
There was a thread a while back about decarbonization and I thought I'd post a
follow up.

  My TR-4A was pinging like crazy no matter where I set the timing.  My timing
was so far off I had no power.  Still, pinging and run-on after turning it off
and the hotter the temp got the more pinging.  So I tried the suggestion of
dumping a small bottle full of water into the carbs one at a time at high revs.
 I repeated this 3 or 4 times.

  Well today it was 85 degress in Chicago and engine temp was a little over
half...but NO pinging!  My timing is back where it should be and the power has
returned.  Feels like a whole different car!

  Thanks to those who suggested the water trick and discussed this topic.  I
thought I was headed for an engine rebuild, but it sure feels good now!

  Jim
  '67 TR-4A
  '68 GT6
  '73 Spit6