[TR] Play in wire wheels

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [TR] Play in wire wheels
From: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:36:47 -0400
    I've noticed that there is some play in my wire wheels when jacked
off the ground.  I can wiggle the tire back and forth, but neither the
discs on the front nor the drums on the back move with the wheel. The
bearings are all tight and new hubs on the rears.  This happens at all 4
wheels.  Everything is nice and tight when I first put the wheel on and
tighten the knock-off with the wheels in the air and nothing wobbles. I
drive it a few miles, then re-check, and I can feel the play again.  The
wheels are Dayton's and the adapters and wheels have less than 250 miles
on them.  I do note some scarring on the taper area of the adapters,
almost like metal transferred from the wheel to the adapter(maybe some
of the chrome plate from the wheels), even though everything was coated
with anti-seize. I even tried a different set of Knock-offs which didn't
help.  Any Ideas.  Should I start by replacing the adapters.  The car
drives fine, with no shaking, even at high speed.  Any help would be
appreciated.    John Mitchell  76 TR6

===     http://www.vtr.org